Elmhurst Accredited Energy Assessor

Energy Performance Certificates

All properties bought, sold or rented require an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).

EPC's are legally required for any building that is to be put on the market for sale or for rental purposes irrespective of whether you are selling or renting privately, or using an Estate Agent.

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding EPCs in Essex

What is an Energy performance Certificate (EPC)?

EPCs tell you how energy efficient a home is on a scale of A-G. The most efficient homes – which should have the lowest fuel bills – are in band A. The Certificate also tells you, on a scale of A-G, about the impact the home has on the environment. Better-rated homes should have less impact through Carbon Dioxide (CO2) emissions. The average property in the UK is in bands D-E for both ratings. The Certificate includes recommendations on ways to improve the home’s energy efficiency to save you money and help the environment. Energy Performance Certificates apply also to commercial buildings and are rated only by Carbon Dioxide emission ratings on a scale of A-G.

Who can produce EPCs?

Only fully Accredited Energy Assessors can produce EPCs. A fully Accredited Assessor must be a member of an Accreditation Scheme such as Elmhurst Energy. The Scheme ensures that the Accredited Energy Assessor produces EPCs in accordance with Government guidelines.

When do I need an EPC?

EPCs are legally required for any building that is to be put on the market for sale or for rental purposes irrespective of whether you are selling/renting privately or using an Estate Agent. It is also a requirement for any newly built properties to have an EPC upon completion of the build. It is currently the responsibility of the building owner to ensure that an EPC is available to prospective purchasers and tenants.

How long are EPCs valid for?

Energy Performance Certificates are valid for ten years unless the energy status of the property has changed. This could include the provision of an extension or improvements to the energy efficiency of the building for example a replacement boiler.

What does the survey involve?

The DEA (Domestic Energy Assessor) will look at the property from different angles from the outside. He will be able to assess the construction and estimate the approximate year of build. This is important as it will affect the SAP (Standard Assessment Procedure) rating, the SAP rating is the standard measured rating utilised in all EPC’s (Energy Performance Certificates).

The DEA (Domestic Energy Assessor) will take various photographs of the outside structure and confirm whether the property is Attached, Detached, a Bungalow etc. He will make a note of the external conditions and note the wall structure and whether or not the wall is solid cavity etc

The DEA (Domestic Energy Assessor) will then take measurements either internally or externally of the property. This is important to determine the exact area of the property and also which of the walls are “heat losing walls”. For example, in a terraced property, the only heat losing walls if it is a mid-terrace are the front and back. In a detached property, all walls will be heat losing as the property is not attached on any side.

Each room is measured for height, width and length and these items are processed through the SAP computer programme.

The DEA (Domestic Energy Assessor) will assess the services within the property looking at the heating systems and what fuel is used. Further assessment will be made in relation to whether the property has an immersion heater or any secondary form of heating. Boiler efficiency is calculated utilising a standard Government approved programme and the DEA (Domestic Energy Assessor) will assess the amount of windows Double Glazed or otherwise within the property. The DEA (Domestic Energy Assessor) will also assess the energy saving aspects of the property including low energy light bulbs, radiator thermostats and automatic programmable heating.

The DEA (Domestic Energy Assessor) will go into the Loft of the property and assess the insulation if any within the roof space.

The DEA will assess whether the property has a conservatory or any extensions as these are important to outline the correct input into the computer programme. Further, if there has been a loft extension and there are rooms in the roof the DEA will assess these also. The same applies to cellers.